Sunday 3 August 2008

Hope


Todays preach at church was about HOPE; a simple 4 letter word that makes all the difference.Everyone in this world puts their hope in something: maybe winning the lottery or looking forward to their next holiday, but how certain is a hope like that?

In fact there exists a wide spread 'hopelessness' among the general public, people look at the state of the world and (no wonder) they lose hope - all the murders, stabbings in London, rapes, wars, climate change, fear of recession here in the UK.

But those who are Christians have a message of Hope and a real hope in their hearts, we aren't looking to prime ministers or presidents or scientists to solve our problems though we are sure they can help - our hope isn't in this life at all. We have a hope that goes beyond that grave so that to die is in fact gain.
I don't have to wonder if there is an afterlife or what will happen to me when I die?I don't have to keep trying to do good in this life with the hope that if somehow I do enough good then that will somehow cancel out my wrongdoings and earn me a place in heaven ( last weeks preach)

No I can in fact be completely confident that because of Jesus who took my sins in His body on the cross I have an eternal home in heaven - an inheritance that waits for me which cannot spoil, perish or fade...This should be evident in the way I life my life, evident in my attitude towards life and death, towards global crises and possible crises within my personal life - all of this can never take away my hope..

No comments: